Friday, June 3, 2011

Can the human society's wealth grow indefinitely?

The absence of rise in real wages reminded me of Tim Jackson's economic reality check talk. There has to be a better option than just growth in wages. What's the point of more money after you have enough. Of course, one can debate about what's enough.

Yesterday, I felt that my computer was a little slow in booting. After all, it is now more than 3 years old. I was tempted to replace it; but a moment's reflection made me realise the absurdity of it. Why was I programmed into wanting to  save 15 sec of boot time and discard a perfectly good computer, which meets all my needs? I suppose spending the disposable income I have on a new computer would definitely make me happier than spending it on anything else.

I like this comment:

"Questioning growth is deemed to be the act of lunatics, idealists and revolutionaries. But question it we must." Tim Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment