Friday, January 28, 2011

Why do I dislike Facebook?

I  am puzzled by my dislike for facebook. It isn't because of privacy. Though I may decide to un-like Bob Dylan because I like his music but am not interested in knowing about his concerts. Since Dylan's concerts are few, the decision to un-like is not so easy.

I think it has to do with my anxiety that Facebook represents the 'future'. I fear what has happened on TV will happen here. Even BBC Entertainment has started half a dozed interruptions in an hour - including some commercials. To make matters worse, their ads are the ones which make my blood boil - aimed at women wanting to look fair and young.

In order to keep people glued to the sets, commercial tv gives an increasing doze of grossness - for example "reality tv" . So, even if Facebook collapses under its own success, it is bound to be replaced by something even more 'appealing' to humans as determined by the advertisers.

By contrast, Google seems to be geared towards what we need. Will it survive? Will its unobtrusive ways give way to intrusive ways? I fear it will -  may be after the founders leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment