Monday, July 25, 2011

When the Cost of Labor is Low

The renovation of our bathrooms continues. I am surprised by the amount of wasted effort and time.

Breaking parts of the walls and floors was with a hammer and chisel. I had expected that.

However, I was surprised that for laying the pipes, walls were first built and then bricks were broken using a chisel and hammer to make space for the pipes. I would have expected that the bricks should have been cut before using them to make the wall. In fact, I would have expected that someone would have come up with suitably shaped bricks baked so that no breakage was needed on the site.

For installing an embedded cistern, it would have been easy to use a rectangular frame as a place holder. But again, the wall was built and then a rectangular cavity created with a hammer and chisel.

I suspect that the low cost of labour is the reason that we continue to use very primitive methods in our construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment