Monday, May 20, 2013

Why not less charity and more taxes?

I wasn't exactly convinced by Peter Singer. I still donate to a charity for children as a personal 'goal' and to another one for old people as my father liked to do. I probably give more than I used to simply because I am now better off. However, I do it to avoid the guilt of not giving to road side beggars. I lost the comfort of giving after this incident in a crematorium.

The idea of even the need for 'effective altruism' bothers me. Why are NGO's preferable to government? I prefer the views expressed here. I would like to pay more taxes and see that the government works. Some corruption or pilferage of funds is probably no worse than overheads of charities. Obviously not in moral terms but in the quantum of money which is actually spent on the desired objectives.

It isn't that NGO's or Charities are irrelevant. Rather, I am bothered by the perception that government is not relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment