Thursday, August 6, 2026

Freedom to Cycle and Growing Old

 I am a little envious  of people of my age cycling. I see so many in Dusseldorf and that pales in comparison to the Netherlands.

I recall that I had decided to bike to work on Sundays. I rarely went on weekends but occasionally I wanted to write some code or expecriment with some software. 

During the  normal time, I did not get enough undisturbed time given my role. It wasn't that my managerial role was so  busy. I was idle (far too) often but not for long enough stretches. 

The roads in Mapusa were not so crowded on Sundays in the 1990's; so, bicycling felt safe enough. There were ups and downs and I did not even think of a bike with gears at the time. I presumed that they would  be imported and very expensive in those years. I just walked when riding was tough.

It must have been only my third such trip that a truck rushed passed and terrified me. I lost my courage and stopped. A risk averse person, obviously. 

I no longer have the courage to rent a bike and try in Europe where it is safe - what if I fall and break  a bone. Have to accept my age even if with regret 😐 

I will be back in India in a week and will no longer be reminded of what could have been :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment